Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hillary Duff is my own personal jesus


As a love struck teenager, I once copied the lyrics of an entire Depeche Mode song onto a hand-made tee shirt as a gift for my highschool girlfriend. Yet, I am much more embarrassed that I just watched (actually twice) this video for "Reach Out" the new single off of Hilary Duff's "best of"(?) album. And . . . I didn't completely hate it. I even forgive that she repeatedly misquotes the Depeche Mode line that is the centerpiece of the song - it's actually "reach out and touch faith" - cause, you know, that's a common mistake.

I am so confused. But in defense of my heterosexuality (not that there is anything wrong with it) I offer the following:

1) Songwriter Martin Gore has explained that he was inspired to write the original "Personal Jesus" based on a book about Elvis Presley.

2) The late great Johnny Cash did a great cover of the song (and, he gets the lyrics right).

3) The original Depeche Mode video has an inexplicable dude ranch theme (ok . . . that's not helping).


0 comments: